Happy National Sunglasses Day everyone!
This day, which falls on the 27th June each year, aims to raise awareness of the importance of protecting your eyes from harmful UV Rays. It is run by The Vision Council who are a care leader with the aim to create ‘better vision for better lives.’
Here are some cool facts to help you celebrate the day!
- Sunglasses are protective eyewear designed to shield the eyes from harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays and bright sunlight.
- The earliest recorded use dates back to ancient Rome, where emperors used to watch gladiator fights through lenses made of smoky quartz to reduce glare.
- They became popular in the 1930s when movie stars started wearing them to protect their eyes from the bright studio lights.
- Sunglasses are not just a fashion accessory; they serve an important role in eye health. Prolonged exposure to UV rays can lead to various eye problems, including cataracts, macular degeneration, and even cancerous growths on the eyes.
- There are different types of sunglasses lenses available, such as polarised, mirrored, and photochromic. Polarised lenses reduce glare from reflective surfaces like water, snow, and glass. Mirrored lenses have a reflective coating that helps to reduce the amount of light entering the eyes. Photochromic lenses automatically darken when exposed to UV light.
- They come in various shapes and sizes to fit different face shapes and personal styles. Some popular styles include aviator, wayfarer, cat-eye, round, and rectangular.
- Sunglasses are not just for sunny days. They can also be useful in protecting the eyes from wind, dust, and debris during outdoor activities like cycling, skiing, and hiking.
- In addition to protecting the eyes from UV rays, they can also enhance visual comfort by reducing eye strain and fatigue caused by bright light.
- Good quality sunglasses should block 100% of both UVA and UVB rays. When purchasing them, it’s important to look for the level of UV protection offered.
- They have become a fashion statement and are often worn by celebrities and fashion-conscious individuals as an accessory to complete their outfits.
Remember, when it comes to sunglasses, it’s essential to choose a pair that offers proper UV protection and suits your personal style and needs. If you have any questions about our ranges, get in touch with our friendly team who would be happy to help.